Welcome to Wind River Outdoor!
USA brick and mortar store!
Free shipping on orders over $75
Guaranteed safe checkout with Shopify
Whiting Hackles dry fly saddles are graded based on the approximate number of flies each pelt will tie. The grade does not denote the hook sizes of the hackle.
1. The approximate number of usable dry fly tying feathers is counted for both sides of the pelt.
(Example: a 95 count on the left side and a 100 count on the right side total 195 usable tying feathers).
2. The average hackle length is then measured.
3. The tying sizes of the feathers are determined. Most saddles have two predominant sizes, with some hackle on either side of the predominant sizes.
(i.e., #12 & #14, #14 & #16, etc.)
4. The total number of flies per pelt is calculated.
(An 8-inch feather that is size 14 will hackle four flies; 195 usable feathers multiplied by four flies equals a minimum of 780 flies. It is important to note as hackle decreases in size, a given length will tie more flies.)
5. The saddle pelts are then placed in their appropriate grade based on the minimum number of dry flies each pelt will tie.
Bronze will tie a minimum of 500 flies
Silver will tie a minimum of 800 flies
Gold will tie a minimum of 1,100 flies
Platinum will tie a minimum of 1,500 flies
Half saddle pelts will tie approximately 1/2 of these quantities.
Quarter saddle pelts will tie approximately 1/4 of these quantities.
8114 Hwy 789 Lander, WY 82520
Call us at 1.307.332.7864 or use our Live Chat